top of page
Untitled design (31).png

Costilla CO 

Can I Live Off-Grid?

Yes! You can set up an off-grid home/homestead! You can power by solar or wind, water by cistern or water haul service, and sewer by septic. The county requires you to have these things set up before you can live there long term, but you can camp and vacation there short term without having them set up. 

Is there power, water or sewer? 

Our properties are raw, undeveloped land ready for you to customize! Properties with utilities already added to them are drastically more expensive and you save a lot of money by adding them yourself or with a contractor. You can fit the off-grid water, power, and septic to your specific needs when you add them yourself.

Can I build a Tiny House?

Yes - the county requires that all houses be at LEAST 600 square feet minimum.  So as long as your “tiny house” is 600 square feet or more, then it's allowed!

Can I Camp on My Land?

Yes!  For “short term” camping - you are allowed 2 weeks every 3 months.  For “long term” camping - you must have a septic system and a water source put in and apply for a permit (Cost: $200).  Allowed to “long term” camp up to 180 days every year.  For permit visit, download & fill out:

Can I Live in an RV/Trailer?

Long-term RV living requires a Long-Term RV Camping permit, which is valid for 60 days. This permit can be renewed three times. In order to qualify for this permit, you must:

  • Have your septic system set up with your RV hooked up to it

  • Have either a permitted well or cistern installed

  • Have no violations of County Code or State Statute or Regulation

  • Adhere to the covenants of your property

  • Provide proof that you own the property

  • Get your RV inspected

Long-Term RV living must be less than 180 days per person/RV/parcel in a 12-month period, and cannot be lived in permanently.

RV occupancy permits are available while building your home. They are valid for 90 days and can be renewed up to 18 months.

Please contact the Costilla County Planning & Zoning offices for additional details at (719) 937-7668.

What is the Weather Like?

The weather varies from dry and hot during the day, and cool during the nights. During June, July, and August there are rainy periods when a monsoon system moves in from Arizona.

  • Temperatures in Costilla County are moderate to cold, ranging from 30-80 degrees Fahrenheit, on average.

  • On average, there are 280 sunny days, and approximately 40 inches of snow per year.

  • See our climate resources page: HERE

Can I have Farm Animals?

If your property is zoned residential (all of ours are unless otherwise mentioned), then you are allowed: Dogs & cats, Chickens, 2 Horses.  No swine & No cows allowed. For swine & cows you must be zoned agriculture/farming.

bottom of page